Web design and development both work hand in hand. You cannot develop a successful website without focusing on the design elements of it. An ideal website design has the right design and flawless functionality. Website development requires teamwork and collaboration between the designers and developers. So when you decide to choose web designing and development services, make sure that you know how it actually works.
In this article, I will address the following questions:
What’s website development?
What’s web designing?
How do web designers and developers work together for a successful website?
Let’s dig in.
According to Wikipedia:
“Web development can range from developing a simple single static page of plain text to complex web applications, electronic businesses, and social network services. A more comprehensive list of tasks to which Web development commonly refers may include Web engineering, Web design, Web content development, client liaison, client-side/server-side scripting, Web server and network security configuration, and e-commerce development. Among Web professionals, “web development” usually refers to the main non-design aspects of building Web sites: writing markup and coding.”
In easier words, web development is all about the coding side of website engineering. Once the website design is finalized between the development team, design team, and the clients, then the web developers convert it to a functional website.
“Web design encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production and maintenance of websites. The different areas of web design include web graphic design; user interface design (UI design); authoring, including standardized code and proprietary software; user experience design (UX design); and search engine optimization. Often many individuals will work in teams covering different aspects of the design process, although some designers will cover them all.”
Web designing plays a key role in the usability and website experience of the end-users. A good design isn’t just creative art — it is meant to be functional and practical. The designers work in liaison with developers to ensure seamless website development.
You also might want to read: 6 Creative Ways You Can Improve Your Web Design and Development.
Now let’s understand the difference between web designers and web developers. A web designer handles the client-side or front-end design of a web page. It partially overlaps web engineering in the broader scope of web development. On the other hand, web development is a broader term that encompasses the creation and deployment of web applications, handling both front-end and back-end website development.
A website development company must have a good team of website developers and designers, that can work in liaison to ensure effective website development. Collaboration is the key — as good communication between website design & development ensures quality, cost & time effectiveness, high usability, and amazing customer experience.
As discussed earlier, website designers and developers must work together. If they fail to do so, the following issues may occur:
- Lengthier software development cycle leading to time wastage
- Increase in design and development costs
- More chances of bugs
- Lack of quality in the website
So how do we make the designers and developers work with each other?
Here are a Few Steps to Ensure That.
- The designers and developers must communicate with each other. They must set a concise set of constraints and design & development principles for a smooth workflow.
- A web developer must have a basic understanding of web design. Similarly, a web designer must know the basic principles of coding and web development.
- Define your work strategy — there should be a well-defined workflow and processes in which designers and developers collaborate with each other.
- Management can solve the issues — A project manager plays a key role in building liaison between the design and development teams.
- The style guides also give a useful mechanism to help developers and designers be on the same page.
- The client should be in touch with the designers and developers. Everyone should be on the same page to build the right website for the business.
“Great web design without functionality is like a sports car with no engine.”
– Paul Cookson
In this article, I shared the ways web design and development work together for a successful project. If you want your website to be successful, make sure that you choose the right web designing and development services.