500 Global selected 11 startups for Batch 1 of the Alberta Accelerator by 500. They attended a rigorous 12-week program, which included mentorship on segments ranging from customer discovery to foundations of growth.
The program culminates in demo day on March 31, 2022 in Edmonton. It will be held in-person and streamed via webcast to a curated audience of industry leaders, ecosystem players, and 500 Global network partners. They will hear presentations from a diverse group of startups hailing from Edmonton, Calgary, Ontario, and Saskatchewan that are building B2B and B2C applications in real estate, fintech, health tech, business automation, and e-commerce, among other sectors.
“500 Global and Alberta Innovates came together with a shared vision of promoting growth and innovation in the region,” said Bedy Yang, Managing Partner at 500 Global. “We couldn’t be more pleased with the quality of the inaugural cohort of 11 startups in the Alberta Accelerator by 500 in Edmonton. We are honored to be a part of this transformative process and are looking forward to helping realize the entrepreneurial potential of the region.”
500 Global teamed up with Alberta Innovates to develop a bespoke world-class startup program and source promising founders in and around Alberta, with the goal of powering the growth of the Alberta Innovation and Technology corridor, centering around Calgary and Edmonton.
The program is part of the Alberta Scaleup and Growth Accelerator Program (Scaleup GAP), a broader initiative designed to strengthen the Alberta innovation ecosystem, in partnership with Alberta Innovates, Ministry of Jobs, Economy and Innovation, Municipal Partners and Prairies Economic Development Canada (PrairiesCan).
“When one entrepreneur succeeds, we all succeed. We are pleased that the first 11 companies have completed the inaugural cohort of the Alberta Accelerator by 500 program,” said Laura Kilcrease, CEO of Alberta Innovates. “Our congratulations go out to all the successful companies that took part in this program. Training like this will build and scale companies in Alberta, diversifying and building a stronger economy.”
Batch 1 startups include:
- Air Trail: compliance automation software that frees airlines from costly, never-ending paperwork, spreadsheets, and antiquated tools so that they can focus on growing their businesses.
- Cash 2 Crypto: brings cryptocurrency to the world in a more accessible way.
- Dropa: online grocery delivery platform that offers Asian, African, and Indian everyday products and groceries.
- Goodlawyer: marketplace for founders who need specialized legal services at a price they can trust.
- Home Spritz: where professional parents experience easy and hassle-free management of house cleanings with high quality reliable independent cleaners.
- Propra: Canada’s modern residential property management software. The solution helps property managers and landlords run their businesses more efficiently using cloud and AI technology.
- Renotag: lets general contractors accurately calculate construction costs in minutes.
- The Public: unites a community of food lovers and makers through its network of kitchens, markets and retail outposts.
- Touch Medical Intelligence: focuses on personalized long term health management.
- TradesLink: Canada’s LinkedIn for the trades.
- REST by Umay: digital rest and recovery tool for your eyes and mind. The solution helps reset the effects of screen time for better sleep and eye health with a meditation experience you can feel.
To attend Demo Day, please visit: Alberta Accelerator by 500 Batch 1 In-Person Demo Day
If you are interested in applying for the Batch 2 Accelerator Program, please sign-up here.
500 Global is a venture capital firm with $2.7B in assets under management that invests early in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth. We work closely with key stakeholders and advise governments and corporations on how best to support entrepreneurial ecosystems so startups can thrive. 500 Global has backed over 5,000 founders representing more than 2,600 companies operating in 81 countries. Our portfolio includes 45 companies valued at over $1 billion and 130 companies valued at over $100 million. Our 140+ plus team members are located in more than 15 countries and bring experience as entrepreneurs, investors, and operators from some of the world’s leading technology companies.
Alberta Innovates is the province’s largest and Canada’s first provincial research and innovation agency. For a century we have worked closely with researchers, companies and entrepreneurs – trailblazers who built industries and strengthened communities. Today we are pivoting to the next frontier of opportunity in Alberta and worldwide by driving emerging technologies across sectors. We are a provincial corporation delivering seed funding, business advice, applied research and technical services, and avenues for partnership and collaboration. Learn how Alberta Innovates.
Headquartered in Alberta’s capital city, Innovate Edmonton leverages, unites, and promotes home-grown innovation as a gateway to solving the world’s most pressing problems. We harness the power of the public and private sectors, ground-breaking academic research, and purpose-driven investment to build a shared prosperity and open international markets. From sustainable climate solutions to public health and digital education, Edmonton is a leading global centre for inspiration, ingenuity, and inclusion. Learn more about Innovate Edmonton and Startup Edmonton, a division of Innovate Edmonton.
THIS PRESS RELEASE IS INTENDED SOLELY FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL OR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. 500 GLOBAL, ALBERTA INNOVATES, AND INNOVATE EDMONTON ARE INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTIES.
WHILE PARTIES HAVE TAKEN REASONABLE STEPS TO ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS PRESS RELEASE IS ACCURATE AND UP-TO-DATE, NO LIABILITY CAN BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY ERROR OR OMISSIONS. NO REPRESENTATIONS ARE MADE AS TO SPECIFIC OUTCOMES FROM RELYING ON THE CONTENTS OF THIS PRESS RELEASE AND ANY THIRD PARTY LINKS.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ANY CONTENT IN THIS PRESS RELEASE BE CONSTRUED AS INVESTMENT ADVICE. NO CONTENT OR INFORMATION IN THIS PRESS RELEASE SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS AN OFFER TO SELL OR SOLICITATION OF INTEREST TO PURCHASE ANY SECURITIES OF OR ADVISED BY ANY PARTIES HEREIN. ALL VIEWS AND OPINIONS PRESENTED ARE THE RELEVANT PERSONS’ OWN.